Tuesday 12 May 2009

The Interview at Sasse College.

Sasse College Main Building
By Louis Egbe Mbua


This is, as one may aptly designate: Mother's day week. Many well-wishers would be wondering why one should be talking about a purely boys-only school -- St. Joseph's College, Sasse. While this may sound a genuine enquiry, what many do not know is that women played a very significant part in the development of the College as an educational centre of excellence. In addition, this year 2009 marks the 70th Anniversary of that venerable institution. As a result, it is only too significant to celebrate Mother's Day, together with the 70th anniversary of the famous Sasse. Although I missed the anniversary celebrations within days in Cameroon, I believe stories and celebration about Sasse cannot fill 100000 books. So we must start from the very beginning.

It so happened that I was to attend the interview and Exam into Sasse College in the late 1970s. So there I was, fully excited to visit this legendary College. My teacher at Presbyterian Primary School in Tiko, Mr. Njume, was extremely proud and excited about sending one of his own to Sasse College. But little did I know the surprise and intellectual challenge that awaited me. Firstly, I knew this was a Boys-only zone and secondly, I presumed the interview would be a cake walk. Over-confident? Perhaps.

So there we go. I hated -- and still hate eating breakfast; eating in the morning is not my strength although I try to put up appearances these days. My Mother had forced me into a breakfast, possibly foreseeing the challenge I will face. So with my shinning uniform, ironed to stitches, I jumped into my uncle's car, who wound through the narrow roads that cut through the landscape of the Tole Tea plantations. Didn’t they inform me that Sasse is in Buea? What is this about Tole, going towards Victoria? Is this College within the Teal Estate? I wondered.

In any case, my uncle picked up one of his friends around Small Soppo. At least, we are now three of us men, I thought; so there is no reason for me to encounter any difficulties in this interview. We arrived at the College entrance; and to my great surprise, there were merely sparse buildings; and nobody could be found. Not until we ascended a steep hill that we arrived the Main Building: again nobody could be found to my dismay. Am I in the right place or What? I was questioning my little mind, when suddenly an elderly European lady emerged just off the College Chapel. I heard my uncle asked:

"Who is that woman?"

"She is called Mbamba. She teaches Physics", Said his friend as a matter-of-factly manner.

I said to myself: "What exactly does Physics constitute?"

And I thought this was a school for Boys? What, exactly, is a woman doing here teaching "Physics"? Nevertheless, the doubts were to be multiplied twice over when we arrived at the reception and again saw but two Nuns. Why didn't any person tell me that this place is controlled and run by women? Besides, where are the Boys anyway? This was developing into a kind of classic holywood movie script.

“I hope,” I mused, “I have not been hood-winked into an all-girls college; to my ultimate horror.” So, I was relieved when we were ushered into a room in the main building to complete a very thick application form; to discover that there were other boys who had earlier arrived for the same interview.

I will not discuss the interview because that was one of the most nerve-racking challenges I have ever encountered in my life. The questions and method were so hard and complicated that I was surprised that I managed to pass. Months later, after enrolling and being admitted into Sasse, I remembered the Nun who was an English Teacher; and I now studying the mysterious Physics:

Sister Lola: the respected Irish Nun;
Came to dine at the College refectory
Good retinue: prepared by men;
And: to discuss on College History.

I sat a yard or two away: eating;
She rose quietly from her own seat
And over to our own next table;
Our disposition: Comfortable.

On her face a polite disposition worn;
Her veil: in the right position worn
At the table: did she take her place;
And began to eat: at a slow pace.

I watched as she dipped her spoon;
On to the simple clear China plate,
And scooped a spoonful: to finish soon;
Since she had to rush: to her flat.

I watched as she finished her portion;
That was of a small proportion.
I realised she was not hungry;
But must acquaint the boys: as a duty.

I ventured to disturb her silence;
Asking a question: of importance.
She observed me with curiosity;
Since surprised was she by the enquiry.

I was only turning twelve years in age;
And my understanding was but feeble,
But I tried to gather more courage;
To insist on the question: that was simple.

I asked her on the subject about the College;
Why Sasse College attained such an adage.
Said she: that fides is the right answer;
Quarems and intellectum come after.

Happy Mother’s Day: and Happy 70th Anniversary of St. Joseph’s Colleges Sasse, Buea, Cameroon.

Fides Quarems Intellectum

NB: Some names have been changed to protect individual privacy.

No comments: